Barrier coatings to facilitate packaging complexity reduction
A more sustainable and efficient alternative to film and foil-based barriers is needed. Metallized substrate are often not efficiently recycled. Less complex packaging structures are more compatible with waste streams, and the switch to paper-based packaging could reduce levels of plastic waste. Paper based structures have a more established recycling stream. However, the application range for paper packaging is limited, and the barrier properties to ensure product shelf life must be maintained.
- Printable barrier coatings
- Reduced water vapor transmission rate (WVTR)
- Improved grease and aroma barrier
- Optional oxygen gas barrier under development
- Reduced COBB value for paper – less water absorption = higher tensile strength
- Printed layers enhance particular properties of commercial barrier substrates