Colors are passion, emotions and personality. At Siegwerk, inks and coatings are our specialty and we use color to bring the packaging and products of our customers to life.
Inks & Coatings
Barrier coatings to facilitate packaging complexity reduction
To achieve circularity in packaging life-cycles, more sustainable and efficient alternatives to film and foil-based barriers are needed. Metallized substrates, for instance, are often not efficiently recycled and affect the recyclability of the entire packaging structure. Less complex packaging structures are more compatible with recycling.
Additionally, a switch to paper-based packaging could reduce levels of plastic waste and provide a circular, recyclable solution, as paper based structures have a more established recycling stream. However, the application range for paper packaging is limited, as the barrier properties to ensure product shelf life must be maintained.
- Printable barrier coatings
- Reduced water vapor transmission rate (WVTR)
- Improved grease and aroma barrier
- Optional oxygen gas barrier under development
- Reduced COBB value for paper – less water absorption = higher tensile strength
- Printed layers enhance particular properties of commercial barrier substrates