- 1 cup ground Egusi (melon seeds)
- 500g assorted meat of choice (beef or chicken)
- 200g assorted fish (stock fish, dried fish)
- 150 g Fresh fish ( 1 medium sized mackerel fish will do)
- 750g Spinach leaves
- 1 medium sized onion bulb
- 1/2 cup palm oil (2 cooking-spoonful)
- 1 teaspoonful ground chili pepper
- 1 teaspoonful ground Crayfish
- 2 bouillon/stock cubes (seasoning cubes)
- Salt to taste
1. Grind the egusi seeds until smooth. Place in a bowl and dissolve with a little warm water to form a paste.
2. Dissolving the egusi is optional, but it helps to reduce burning when frying in the oil.
3. Slice the vegetables and set aside.
4. Wash and season the assorted meat and fish with sliced onions, one stock cube(and any other meat seasoning of choice) and salt to taste. Cook until tender and set aside. Reserve the meat stock.
How to cook the Soup:
5. Heat up the oil in a pot until hot. Add the dissolved Egusi paste and fry, stirring constantly until the soup begins to thicken. Fry for about 15 to 20 minutes or when you notice the oil rise to the top of the egusi.
6. Add the meat stock, mix thoroughly and leave to boil for 10 minutes.
7. Add the ground pepper, crayfish, stock cube and the cooked assorted meat & fish and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Next, add the fresh fish and cook until the fish is done.
9. Then, add the sliced vegetables and salt to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes and the soup is ready.